Wednesday, April 13, 2011

on the inside.

"What on Earth are you doing?" Were the words my mum uttered when she caught me in her bathroom vanity furiously covering my 6 year old sun kissed face with the heaviest foundation I could find.
"I hate my freckles, I don't want them anymore." I muttered through about 8 layers of caked on make up. This sudden self loathing was prompted by a boy from my neighborhood who had taunted me during my after school bike ride. Our neighborhood was divided into two child 'gangs', of course girls and boys being separated and vehemently despising one another. Think mini "Pink Ladies" against "Lord of the Flies". Every afternoon we would ride our bikes around the neighborhood and rile each other up, like some kind of miniature people turf war with little to no serious fall out. Except for today.
"Only boys have freckles."
"Yeah... boys!"
"That means you're a boy!"

All followed by rounds of laughter and pointing.  I rode my ribbon clad, bell ringing bike home as fast as I could and bolted inside to rectify the problem.  Only minutes later to be caught by my mum face deep in foundation in the midst of a "I hate boys, I don't wanna be a boy", break down.
This prompted a conversation about how beautiful she thought I was and that what's more important than anything else was being a kind, loving and generous person. "It's what's on the inside that counts Louie, don't ever forget that", she lovingly said as she removed the entire container of make up I had slapped on my face.
Of course she's right. Look at these Nutella Molten Lava Cupcakes... They might look like a regular chocolate cupcake with Nutella cream cheese frosting on the outside, but once you get to know them they'll knock your ever loving socks off!

Still.......I shoulda kicked that little twurp in the shins when I had the chance.

Nutella Chocolate Molten Lava Cupcake

1/2 cup of semi sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup of Nutella
1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream

1/3 cup unsweetened Dutch process cocoa powder
1/3 cup of hot water
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 sticks of unsalted butter
1 and 2Tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs room temp
1/2 Tablespoon of Vanilla extract
1/2 cup of sour cream room temp

In a small saucepan, heat cream until quite hot whisking to ensure that it never boils. Add chocolate and Nutella and whisk until smooth. Place in bowl and let sit in refrigerator until cool.

Preheat Oven to 350F. Line muffin tins with liners. Whisk together cocoa and hot water until smooth. IN another bowl sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.

Melt butter with sugar in a saucepan over medium heat mixing to ensure that mixture is smooth. Once brought together add to electric mixer and whisk until cool which should take around 5 minutes, remember if mixture is too hot, the eggs will cook when you add them . Add eggs one at a time then Vanilla and cocoa mixture. Beat until fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add flour mixture alternating with sour cream and ensuring that it is fully incorporated yet not over worked.

Add to muffin tins. Take chilled Nutella and chocolate mixture out of the refrigerator and scoop one heaped Tablespoon into the centre of each cupcake. Bake for around 18-20 minutes until Cupcakes have risen and the tops are cooked. Transfer onto wire racks and allow to completely cook before you even attempt to frost them!

Nutella Cream Cheese Frosting

8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
2 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup of Nutella
1 Tablespoon of unsweetened Cocoa powder


Whip together cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and continue to mix until fully combined. Lastly, add Nutella and cocoa powder and whip until smooth. Please feel free to add more Nutella if your taste buds require it!


xo t

23 comments:

  1. Sounds like that kid coulda used a good kick to the shin! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg the chocolate is never ending. bookmarked this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my gosh, i'm pretty sure those are served in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh bless your little 6 year old heart! i wish i could convince all children/teens everywhere that 90% of what the other kids say is false. but then, i guess if none of us had experiences like this we wouldn't be as wise or as kind in adulthood.

    also, i'm pretty sure those cupcakes are heaven in a wrapper!! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot damn!!! I'll just scroll up and down a few more times to satisfy my urge...your pictures capture temptation perfectly!
    You know boys always tease the girl they like the most. Awesome Mother you have! It's a mistake to put too much importance on looks, because that too will go one day and then what?
    Cupcake
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great story! Nutella cupcakes sound like something I have to try!
    As for that "twurp", yeah, you should have kicked his shins ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. yep, you should have.

    i was just recounting this very story (sub me for you and my mom for yours) with my mom last week. covered all those babies up, and by babies I mean freckles. and now everyday, i look at my six year old's beautiful face and ask "hmmmmm, which one is my favorite today? that freckle or that freckle? or maybe that freckle?" daughters are the best. xo

    oh, and the cupcake looks damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I used to hate my freckles, too! What is it about being young that makes you wish your freckles would just disappear? These cupcakes, on the other hand, I wish would Appear, right here on my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have too many freckles, and they just pop out in the summer. I don't really even mind them-never have. I had huge glasses and big teeth as a kid so freckles weren't what people made fun of when they picked on me :)

    And my boyfriend loves freckles. And he would love those cupcakes, too!
    They look like a gift from heaven...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh ya! you should have kicked him in the shins!!
    those mini cakes looks sooo good!
    I am really happy, that with all this sweet and food oggling I can't gain weight my dreaming of eating your yummy food!
    BTW you are beautiful inside and out my friend!
    xx
    callie

    ReplyDelete
  11. These cupcakes look delicious. I'm making them. I need more nutella in my life ASAP. And I had a moment like that with my freckles too, except it came in middle school after seeing so many models without them. I thought I couldn't be pretty with them. Now, I couldn't be happier when more shine through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had to re-focus cuz I wanted to finish your story but those pictures were a great distraction! Geez.. nutella cream cheese frosting.. I just died..

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh oh oh- HAVE to make these this weekend...now will go back and read your post properly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. anything made with nutella has to be the most delicious thing ever.

    i actually made some nutella brownies recently and they came out AH-MAZING! i'm trying to stay away from nutella for a while because i just ending up eating spoonfuls from the jar any chance i get!

    ReplyDelete
  15. how funny! My friend Jenna when I was little had freckles from head to toe, this girl couldnt get away from them and I wanted to have them SO bad becuase she had them. I thought she was so pretty with her red hair and light skin, and I had this dumpy bown color and nothin cool about MY skin! lol its all how you look at it I guess. man that kid should have had some kicks to the shin commone now!

    um these cupcakes? YUM might have to make those

    ReplyDelete
  16. Holy mother those look AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh. My. Goodness. That looks like the most delicious cupcakes I've ever seen. I love Nutella ! Ah! Thanks for sharing. And I have always wanted freckles - I think they're so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A lesson well learned and beautiful taught, both in life and food. xo bb

    ReplyDelete
  19. great story and recipe! will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Are you trying to kill me with these? The first image is so good!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh wow, these look divine!
    ΚΑΛΟ ΠΑΣΧΑ!!! Hope you have a fantastic Easter doll!
    x.o.x.o

    ReplyDelete
  22. oh my goodness these look delicious! i might have to try this soon
    xx
    http://davinadonkor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails